Another great story by B.A.Paris!

The Breakdown - B. A. Paris

Behind Closed Doors,also by B.A.Paris was my favorite book in 2016 and I read 150 books. I love psychological thrillers and I seem to be reading a lot of them lately. The Breakdown is going to be right up there with my favorite books.

Cass is on her way home on a blustery, rainy night. Her husband has asked her to not take the shortcut that Cass likes to take, but she disregards his concerns, what could happen right, she will just take her time. It is raining hard and it becomes increasingly difficult to see where she is going, but she keeps going. Ahead she sees the taillights of a car ahead. Should she stop and see if there is anything she can do if the person needs help. She is apprehensive though, as you never know who is in the car, it could be very dangerous. She pulls in front of the car, hoping that maybe if the person needs help, he or she can toot the horn or flash their lights. That does not happen so after a period of time, Cass leaves and makes her way home.

The next morning Cass finds out that there was a woman murdered on the street she was on and it turns out it is a woman that she knows slightly. Now the guilt sets in and she keeps thinking that there could have been something that she could have done, or if she would have stopped the woman would be alive. She doesn't tell anyone, even her best friend or her hubby, or the police. There is a reward and a hotline for anyone with any information that anyone might have. Cass does call the hotline and tells what she knows but doesn't give her name.

Aside from her knowledge and guilt she feels about the woman that was murdered, she finds that she is starting to forget things and is worried that she has early onset dementia, like her mother had. This is disconcerting to Cass because at times she feels like she is going crazy. So with the insistence of her doctor and husband she starts taking medication that may help this affliction. The story gets going pretty fast from there and there are a lot of twists and turns until the last page.

Like I said earlier, I love the books by Ms.Paris. Well written, good character development. Some might say that is starts out a bit slow, but that is good for a psychological thriller, kind of sets up the suspense for the reader! This could very well be another favorite for the year for me!