Behind Her Eyes

Behind Her Eyes: A Novel - Sarah Pinborough

Why is everyone talking about the ending in Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes, why indeed? That is a legitimate question and one of course that I am not going give you the answer to, you really have to read the book to find out.

"Pinch myself and say I AM AWAKE once an hour
Look at my hands. Count my fingers
Look at clock (or watch), look away, look back
Stay calm and focused
Think of a door"

Thus starts this psychological thriller that will have you turning the pages into the wee hours, I know it did me.

David meets secretary Louise, not knowing that he is her new boss and he is married. They share conversation, a drink and a kiss. Louise is a newly divorced mom with a little boy working and really has no life and only a few friends. She really does not want to get into a relationship with a married man, but eventually does.

Enter Adele, David's wife, who 'accidentally bumps into' Louise on a walk, they go for coffee and develop a mutual liking for each other. The have a blossoming friendship unknown to David. David and Louise start to have an intimate relationship unbeknownst to Adele. Or is it?

David and Adele have a secret that Louise eventually tries to figure out. Adele had given Louise a journal to read of when Adele was in an institution after the death of her parents in a fire. Adele came from wealth and we learn that David worked on the estate and when Adele was young, she followed him around. As she grew up she developed a relationship with David, against the wishes of her parents. A fire breaks out in the house and David rescues Adele and is severely injured in the process.

While Adele is at this institution, she meets a young man named Rob who after Adele is released, comes to live with David and Adele for a short period of time. Things happen that we really don't know about as the reader, why did David and Adele have to keep moving around? All of these things culminate in an ending that will knock you sideways. Just when you think that you know what is going on and who did what, the story twists. I really love these kind of stories, the stranger the better because I do not want to figure out what happens to easily. Well this is one of those stories. Kind of a freaky ending for sure. I think this will end up being my favorite thriller for 2017. A must read!