WWI Story!

The Old World (By the Hands of Men) - Roy Griffis

I had a great uncle that fought in WWI and I had heard that this war in particular was terrible, well all wars are hell , but with the trench warfare and the use of nerve gas it was more so. It is said that WWI was the deadliest war in history with over 60 million European military personnel killed from 1914 to 1918 and 7 million permanently disabled and another 15 million seriously injured.  In this Book One of the series, By The Hands of Men the characters Charlotte Braninov and Lieutenant Robert Fitzgerald are the front and center. Charlotte is from Russian aristocracy serving as a nurse in a base hospital in France. Grueling work for sure, attending to the injured and dying in almost primitive conditions while bombing is going on all around the hospital. Robert Fitzgerald comes to the camp hospital gravely injured. Charlotte tends to him among the many and they form a relationship and eventually fall in love. As we read we become part of the story during the ups and downs of war, horrendously bloody on minute and then rewarding the next. With secondary characters that you grow to love or hate if you will, that keep you wanting more. I loved Charlotte's character as she is a very compassionate and caring nurse, seemingly taking it all in stride. Then there is the old nurse who is a bit of a curmudgeon but has a surprising side to her. The book does end on a bit of a sad note as there is not always a happy ending and I was glad that there are two more in the series, Into the Flames, Book Two and Book Three coming out in May 2016  the story of Charlotte and Robert continues. Definitely a lot of research went into the telling of a war and it's people, even though they were fictional, you almost think that they were real. I really enjoyed it. I received a copy of this book for my honest thoughts.