Great Novel!

Angels Burning - Tawni O'Dell
Chief Dove Carnahan is the main character of this story. She is a police chief in a small community in Pennsylvania. There is an abandoned mine just out of town where the body of a teenage girl is found, partly buried and partly burned. It is up to her and her team to figure out what happened to her and why. She is identified as Camio Truly, a member of the Truly family, notorious for being rednecks and petty criminals. Suspects abound, Camio's family and her boyfriend are among them.
Dove has issues of her own and her story is told along with the ongoing investigation of the girl's murder. Dove's mother was murdered when Dove was a teenager. Dove also has a sister Neely and a brother Champ. Their stories are also mingled in. Neely is a dog trainer with issues of her own, Champ left the family shortly after their mother was murdered and has not returned in 20 years, then suddenly turns up with a son. The man who was tried and convicted for the murder is out and he is not happy that he had to be imprisoned for a crime he did not commit.
All of these stories combine to tell tale of dysfunctional families at their best, and worst. A suspenseful story that gets even more suspenseful as the story goes on. Definitely twists that I never saw coming. I love a good mystery/thriller type story and Angel's Burning is one of the better ones that I have read. All of Tawni O'Dell's books take place in Pennsylvania coal mining communities and she writes of the locality very well. This is the first book I have read by this author but I certainly will be reading more. I give this book 5 stars.