Whole Grain Mornings

Whole-Grain Mornings: New Breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons - Megan Gordon

Whole-Grain Mornings is a collection of recipes to start your day off right. The author goes over the basics from what ingredients to use and what you should have in your pantry. It is important to have the ingredients on hand. I lik to have all the essentials in my pantry, from flour, sugars, oils to the correct baking pans etc. The author covers measurements, cooking times, and how to use herbs in your cooking and baking.She also gives descriptions of natural sweeteners such as honey, maple syrup, molasses and natural cane sugar. She also has a section on the different kinds of flours. Most baking recipes use white flour but lately there is an influx of recipes using  whole grain flours which are much healthier. Speaking of whole grains, there is also a section for storing whole grains, rinsing and soaking whole grains and the storing freezing and using leftover grains.

Ok, now onto the recipes themselves, I love porridge or oatmeal. What can be better to warm you up on a cold winter day than a satisfying bowl of porridge of oatmeal? Oatmeal is healthy for you and kickstarts your day. I sometimes like to have a bowl of oatmeal before going to bed. Now for the oatmeal, there are steel-cut oats, rolled oats or old fashioned oats, quick cooking oats and instant oats. What is the difference you ask? Well the author briefly describes the difference and what the uses are for each variety.

Recipes include making your own granola and pancakes. Finally there are sections for all four seasons and recipes and tips for what to make or what to have on hand for each season. The recipes don't only include breakfast but dishes you can make for any meal. Jams, sauces and what to do with those seasonal fruits and veggies. I loved this cookbook and plan to use many of these recipes. I have included one of my favorites to make, granola, everyone in my family loves it!

I received a copy of the book for review from Netgalley and I was not monetarily compensated for said review.

Recipe from the book!

Apricot Pistachio Granola

This is a version of the granola that the Wall Street Journal wrote about on a Saturday
morning in early June of 2012. Once you develop product flavors for a business, you don’t
get to continue altering them once the packaging is printed and customers fall in love
with it. However, I’ve taken to adding sunflower seeds and crystallized ginger when
I make this at home. For my tips and tricks on making the best granola, see page 144.
makes about 8 cups

Morning Notes: Buying apricots from bulk bins with a high turnover is always a good bet
because they’re likely much fresher than packaged dried fruits. You can also buy diced dried apricots, which is what I do for Marge (see Sources, page 166).

3 cups / 300 g rolled oats
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup / 120 ml extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 cup / 120 ml maple syrup
1⁄2 cup / 75 g finely chopped dried apricots (about 10 dried apricots)
1⁄4 cup / 25 g diced crystallized ginger

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
or a silicone mat.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, pistachios, pepitas, sesame seeds, sunflower
seeds, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.

Add the vanilla, olive oil, and maple syrup and stir to combine. I use my hands at this
point so that all of the wet and dry ingredients are evenly mixed together. Turn the mixture
out onto the prepared baking sheet and spread in an even layer.

Bake until fragrant and golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Stir every 15 to 20 minutes
to ensure the granola bakes evenly.

Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the baking sheet. If the granola doesn’t seem as toasty and crunchy as you’d like, it will firm up considerably as it cools.

Stir in the apricots and crystallized ginger once the granola has cooled.
Store in an airtight container for 3 to 4 weeks or refrigerate for up to 6 weeks (if
refrigerating, keep the apricots in a separate sealed bag and add them as you enjoy your
granola so they don’t become hard and dry.