Mist of Midnight

Mist of Midnight: A Novel (The Daughters of Hampshire) - Sandra Byrd

Back when I was in high school, there were a lot of authors that I read, like Victoria Holt, Barbara Michaels, Mary Stewart and Phylis Whitney. Loved them all. These stories by these forgotten authors always helped me get a release from my life as a unloved teen. I always felt a kindred spirit to the heroines in the stories. Mists of Midnight reminds me of these stories about women who are often in dangerous situations and men who are mysterious.

I have read Sandra Byrd's Historical novels and really enjoyed them all. Mist of Midnight is the first in in the Daughters of Hampshire series. Victorian Era is  often described as highly moralistic, straitlaced language and behaviour and that is reflected in this book. You won't find any naughty language or situations but what you will find is a hint of the heroine, Rebecca Ravenshaw's, life growing up in India and when she arrives in Hampshire England. What she finds upon arrival is that someone had taken over her life and now Rebecca has to do what she can to prove she is who she says she is, especially to the man who resides in her family home, Captain Luke Whitfield.

Mystery abounds as Rebecca delves further into who the woman was that impersonated her and why. Some things she finds out about Captain Luke Whitfield has her wondering if he is really who he appears to be or is there something more sinister about him. I believe that if you are looking for a book that has all the elements of a good story, mystery, romance and danger, then you should definitely pick up a copy of this first in a series. You will not be disappointed at all.