A Life of Death

A Life of Death - Weston Kincade

The question that is asked of Alex Drummond by his son is "Dad, I need to know the most important thing that ever happened to you. Was there ever anything that changed your life that much?"  Alex starts telling his son about his senior year in high school, the year that changed everything for him and made him become who he was now. He is a homicide detective that overcame that horrible year.

Alex started having nightmares about dead people. Frightening in itself, Alex thought he was going crazy and was determined to find out what was happening and why. He was able to touch objects and relive a persons death. His father had died in a terrible car accident and his mother remarried an abusive man. The only person he still felt close to was his father. He goes daily to the cemetery to talk to his father. As he has more nightmares, he confides in his close friend Paige. Together they must find out why Alex is having these terrible visions.

This is a coming of age story about a young man whose life is anything but easy, just trying to get through the only way he can. He is tormented by these visions and wants to lay these dreams to rest. A story that I was at first apprehensive about, I think the cover of the book threw me off a bit, yes I am a person who judges a book by it's cover, but I stuck with it and I was very glad I did. The story is suspenseful with strong and likeable characters, some not so likeable. I loved the paranormal aspect, I can not imagine what it would be like to relive a person's most intimate moment, their death if it were possible. The author's writing enabled me to have real empathy for Alex and his home life situation. When an author can make the reader feel emotion for the characters, then in my book it is because the author knows how to tell a tale. I highly recommend it!