The Last Weekend of the Summer - Peter Murphy

Whenever I read a book by Peter Murphy, I feel transported right into the era or timeframe of the story. This novel is about a dysfunctional family, pretty much like anyone's family, we all have dysfunction at a certain level.

Gloria, the matriarch of the family, gathers her family, children and grandchildren, to the lake cottage that has been in the family for years. Johnnie, Buddy, and CC all bring along with them the family drama that they are dealing with, or not dealing with. They learn when they arrive at the lake cottage, that their estranged father will also be in attendance yet they don't know why they have been summoned. They all assume that Gloria is dying and getting her affairs in order. The three adult children, all have different reasons for not having a relationship with Jake.

The plot of this novel is very moving and relatable, as I said, everyone has drama and dysfunction, the characters are very believable, emotional and the story is fast-paced. A very moving story! Like I said, I always love a Peter Murphy novel, I don't think he can write anything bad and I look forward to the next book!