Daughters of Hampshire

Bride of a Distant Isle: A Novel (The Daughters of Hampshire) - Sandra Byrd
I am always excited to get one of Sandra Byrd's novels. Bride of a Distant Shore is no exception. The second in the Daughters of Hampshire series. In Victorian England, Annabel Ashton is called back to the home of her cousin Edward, Highcliffe. He has run out of money and wants to sell the family home and can not continue to pay for Annabel to stay at the Rogers Day School for Young Women, where she is a teacher.

The family has always claimed that Annabel was illegitimate, supposedly the daughter of a man from Malta and because of this she is unable to inherit. Annabel does not believe this and she starts on a mission to clear supposed her illegitimacy and clear the name of her mother who died in an insane asylum put there by her family because they claimed she was insane.

Now her cousin Edward wants her to marry and finds a man who Annabel does not like but who would line Edwards coffers. As time goes on secrets come to the surface and Annabel makes the acquaintance of Maltese Captain Dell'Acqua. There is an immediate attraction between them. Can Annabel right the wrongs that have been done to her mother and her good name? I sure do hope so!! But you have to read the book to find out.

Like I said before, I have always loved Sandra Byrd's work, from her Tudor stories to this series. Her research is impeccable, her writing understandable, the pacing fast, exciting and sometimes creepy. This is a mystery as well as a romance so you get a bit of both! You certainly can not go wrong with this wonderful author! I look forward to the next in the series, A Lady in Disguise, publishing in 2017.